Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...





My rating: 5/5


“There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, and it's up to you how you respond to it.”

When I first came across this book it was during the whole Twilight hype, and I’ll admit that what got me into it was a twisted sense of morbid curiosity, since one mistaken comment had said Warm Bodies was just as that vampire book, but with zombies.

I’ll be honest, I have never given much thought to zombies, though I know they are a big part of North American culture, I didn’t care for zombie movies or theories and stuff, so I really went into Warm Bodies just to see how rotten and brain eating creatures were made into love interests.

As I said, morbid curiosity.

But as I started going through the pages something strange happened, I started loving it. I loved R and his dilemma with being a zombie, how he couldn’t remember his life from before and how he tried to understand what was happening in the world around him. The author has an unique way to put his thoughts into words and the writing style is still, after so many years, one of my favourites so far.

The thing was, when I got to the love story, well it was beautiful. There was no insta-love or forced chemistry, Julie was a character that stood out on her own, she didn’t need a love interest to make her important, I loved her and her strength, her insecurities and flaws, she was beautiful because of that and R could see it. I also loved her best friend and, particularly how they met! It’s so nice to see two girls becoming friends instead of pinning against each other for some guy, I’m still to find another book like that.


I got into Warm Bodies because of my masochistic curiosity, and I ended up with one of my favourite books of all time. It’s definitely worth a read! And re-read, and re-re-read!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment