Sunday, August 9, 2015

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.




My rating:3,5/5

Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi



I have mix feelings about Under the Never Sky, on the one hand it was an imaginative story with an engaging writing style that flows easily throughout the story, on the other… I was really bored for 80% of the book.

The story starts off wonderfully, we are introduced to the characters and their world. People live in secluded areas to stay protected from the dangerous environment and “salvages” that might live out there. In order to spend an agreeable existence in such a closed environment people experience life through 4D illusions that allow them to have fun despite their limitations. It was truly frightening to see what people could become once they were free, when they had no one watching them and their true nature was exposed. The first few chapters of the book were filled with action and suspense and I was looking forward to see how the story developed.

Until I didn’t, anymore. I don’t know what happened, I really don’t but after those fun chapters everything became… stall and nothing really happened. I felt no chemistry between Perry and Aria, and I was happy to see that there was no insta-love but rather a slow develop to their relationship. 

They started communicating and learning from one another, and even though I had my reservations with both of them, it was unique to watch those two interact. Until suddenly, BAM they were in love and everything was so wonderful between them, and I had no idea of how the hell that happened.

They were helping each other and then… they were together and making out and her period smelled like violets (Seriously dude?). It was a brusque change that didn’t help with the pace in the story.

The last chapters, however, were so much better, everything started to work out, but the rest of the book was too slow for me. I’ll read the next sequels to see how things develop, I just hope it’s alittle more fast-paced.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way with this book! The beginning was too slow for me. The ending was much better, but if only the entire book had been as fast-paced as the ending. Great review!

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete